MORRIS BLACK SPEAKING CONTEST
Open to all Jewish Students in Grades 3-8 in Jewish and Public Schools in Hamilton and Surrounding Areas
Sunday, March 26, 2023 | 1 – 4 pm
TEMPLE ANSHE SHOLOM | 215 CLINE AVENUE NORTH
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT MAGGIE AT
[email protected] | 905.648.0605 x307
Rules and Prizes
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST
- REGISTER FOR THE CONTEST
- PICK A TOPIC FROM THE ONES LISTED
1) Ancient Jewish discoveries and what they mean to Jewish continuity and Jewish life today.
2) Get your passports ready… Explore the history and traditions of Jewish communities around the world.
3) What Jewish holidays are the most meaningful to you and why?
4) Explore some of your favourite Jewish foods and the history behind them.
5) Israel at 75: proudest moments and biggest challenges for the future. What unites us all to the land?
6) What is one of the best Jewish inventions and why?
7) Putting G-d on the guest list: making Jewish home celebrations holy beyond dinner.
8) Who is a heroine or hero of the Jewish community in Canada that made a meaningful impact in the community.
9) Why is the Holocaust still relevant to Jewish life today?
- WRITE YOUR SPEECH: 2-4 MINUTES LONG
You can register in the Speech Writing Workshop here, if you need help. Scholarships are available for the workshop.
- ATTEND THE SPEECH CONTEST ON MARCH 26 TO PRESENT YOUR SPEECH BEFORE A PANEL OF JUDGES
- STAY FOR REFRESHMENTS AND AWARDS CEREMONY IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING SPEECHES
Contest Registration Accepted until March 20, 2022
To register, simply submit the form below.
More information is available from Rick Black at 905.928.5080 or by contacting Maggie Norris at 905.648.0605 x307
Your child should be dressed comfortably but in a manner that is dressy enough to present a speech in public. Dress for success!
All speeches should begin with the phrase, “Honorable judges, viewers, and fellow participants…”
Deadline for registration is on March 20, 2023
Grades 4-8 compete for cash prizes. The contestants in the Grade 3 category are participating in an experiential learning format. All entrants in Grade 3 will receive the gift of Israel Bonds as well as constructive feedback about their speeches.
Judges include educators or those in the education field, professionals who have experience working with children, and esteemed members of the Jewish community. All judges are devoting their time on a volunteer basis. Any concerns regarding judging should be addressed to Dave Loewith.
Marks will be awarded based on the following: organization, content, evidence of research, understanding of topic (as you may be asked a question), originality and delivery; which includes suitable volume, pitch and tone, pronunciation and fluency. First place in each grade category will be awarded $100, second place $75, and third place $50.
The speech should be 2-4 minutes long.
Speech Writing Workshop
We are offering a speech writing workshop for Grades 3 to 8
with Romy Friedman
Learn the fundamentals of speech writing and practice for the Morris Black competition commencing on March 26, 2023.
- How to pick a topic and research skills
- Writing a speech
- Public Speaking skills
Workshop will take place on March 5 from 10am to 12pm, at JHamilton 1605 Main Street West, Hamilton. Workshop cost is $50.
If you need a scholarship please contact Maggie at [email protected].
MORRIS BLACK PUBLIC SPEAKING CONTEST